I wanted the design to connect with the Wingfeather Saga so I drew two of the main characters, Lilee and her giant dog Nugget. I wanted to draw the giant doggie! I just want to hug him!
Why is Nugget a giant dog? You'd have to read the first book On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness to find that out. I don't want to spoil it. It's such a great book!
I posted the process of the bookmark since I made it by hand. I hope the winner likes it along with there book "North! Or Be Eaten!" ^_^
The sketch.
After I've drawn out the character designs and lot's of brain storming, I draw the finale sketch on Bristol broad. Most of my drawings are drawn on basic printer paper since I color a lot of my pictures on Photoshop. But since this was colored in color pencils, I decided to use Bristol broad. Smooth Bristol paper is my favorite. ^_^

The Inking.
After I tidy up the sketch, since my sketches are usually pretty scribbley, I inked the drawing with my Pigma Sensei pens. This is usually the scary part, because I'm usually a pretty bad inker. But I've learned that if I ink my drawings with thins lines and carefully build the lines up with one of my thicker pens, the picture looks decent.
The coloring.
I used prizma colored pencils to color the bookmark. Wow! I think it's been a long time since I've used traditional media. Daggit Photoshop! Anyways, I lightly color in the highlights and build up the the dark areas.
When I was finished coloring Lilee and Nugget, I felt like something was missing. I noticed that a lot of graphic design artist have been using swirly flower on their pictures. I always loved the design so I thought I would try my hands on drawing a swirly flower with a purple color pencil. I then added a butterfly while I was at it. My bookmark now felt like it was complete! =D
Creating a bookmark was a fun project. I would love to do more projects like this!


No comments:
Post a Comment