Monday, August 31, 2009

A Style That's My Own.

Not to long ago I started my drawing classes. I'm really love the class, my classmates, and my teacher. But in her lecture, she said something that got the wheels in my head turning. She showed a small print of some anime art and said that she knows this art is really popular and a lot of people love to draw it, but it wasn't our own. It was something we copied from another style. A lot of artist, like me, only know how to draw anime. She wasn't slamming the style, as a matter of fact, she said when we start drawing for a living, we could draw whatever we wanted. But in a drawing class, we needed to think outside of that art form.

I know that in a drawing class, I won't be learning how to draw a manga art. The main reason I'm studying graphic design because I want to expand my art horizon. I've read plenty of How To Draw Manga Books to learn subject. I'm taking drawing classes to force myself to learn how to draw things that I would need to know how to draw in order to be a good comic book artist. Perspective! Eek! O_O

What got me thinking was the whole "It's not you're own."

I wasn't offended I just couldn't help but think about why I draw the style. If it was really my own. I have borrowed elements from different shojo manga artist like Naoko Takeuchi and Arina Tanemura. But later, my style evolved into something of it's own.

Something just seems right about being a manga artist. Especially after I won an art contest last spring. All the compliments I got from that drawing to me made me feel like being a manga artist was the right path. I just feel like that drawing the style seems right for several reasons.

I like drawing the manga style because I feel like it's very expressive. I'm love how the artist can express emotions such as joy and sadness in their way of drawing. I have to say, tears look pretty in some of the manga's I've read so far. And you got to love chibi's. Lol! XD

I'm also a detail freak. A lot of manga artist put lots of detail into the way they draw the hair and the eyes. I like to do the same with my work.

I''ve often wondered if I should dabble with the Western comic style art just so I could work with comics that required that style. But sometimes, I think I need to stick with my art roots and just draw what's truly me. That's why I drew this pen sketch. I thought I would expand more and draw something a little more realistic, but keep some of the manga elements that I liked.

The results where good, but I have to say it still came out very mangaish so, I guess that is my style after all.

Sorry for the epic long post. I guess I had a lot on my mind relateing to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment